In the assault on the US Capitol, a cop was killed.
A car rammed through security and crashed into a fence at the US Capitol on Friday, killing one officer and injuring another, sending it into lockdown less than three months after a mob attack on Congress.
Acting Chief Yogananda Pittman told reporters that the driver jumped out of the car and lunged at them with a knife, prompting Capitol Police to shoot him.
There was no detail on the attacker’s identity or motive, but Washington Metropolitan Police Chief Robert Contee said that a terror connection was not believed at this time.
“It does not seem to be linked to terrorism,” Contee said, “but we will continue to investigate.”
After the incident, National Guard troops were called in and workers at the massive Capitol complex were told to stay away from windows and seek cover.
A blue sedan crashed into a security barrier on one of the streets leading to Congress, and what appeared to be wounded officers were loaded onto gurneys and into ambulances, according to television video.
The police were loaded into a helicopter that landed on Capitol grounds and taken to a hospital.
– Improved security –
Following the January 6 uprising by supporters of then-President Donald Trump, security in Washington was strengthened.
Hundreds of protesters forced their way into the Capitol building, hurling threats at legislators and closing down the legislature.
One Capitol Police officer, as well as four others who took part or were nearby, died as a result of the attack.
Since then, security officials have stated that extreme-right groups and Trump supporters continue to pose a threat.
According to Justice Department court filings, more than 300 people have been charged in the January assault, including members of armed militant groups like the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers. Another 100 people are likely to be charged.
PLEASE FOLLOW US BY EMAIL TO GET NOTIFIED ABOUT THINGS LIKE THIS
- In the assault on the US Capitol, a cop was killed.
- UK agency fines Oyakhilome’s channel N65.6m over COVID-19 sermon
- I won’t travel abroad for medical check-up –Wike
- Eight members of the RCCG have been abducted in Kaduna,
- Fury will beat Anthony Joshua unless… – Mike Tyson
- #EndSARS: We must weed out terrible eggs in Nigeria police –Gbajabiamila
- Uprooted herders have gotten to be desperados threatening Nigeria, says Miyetti Allah
- South-West govs creating problem for Tinubu’s 2023 presidential ambition –Miyetti Allah
- 2023: Jonathan knows I won’t back him In the event that he gets APC ticket –Wike
- PDP condemns attempt to assassinate Ortom, demands probe
- There will be no more Nigeria if Ortom is assassinated —Nyesom Wike
- JusticeForItunu: Nigerian Lady Sentenced To 20 Years
- ‘Chamber not marketplace’, Gbajabiamila berates Reps who disrupted plenary
- N42bn debt| FG stops telcos from disconnecting USSD services
- Hope uzodimma spit fire
- Biafra: Address IPOB’s agitation – Olisa Metuh begs Igbo leaders